Sunday, August 14, 2011

maine vacation ~ bass harbor

You can't go on a coastal Maine vacation without seeing a lighthouse. We drove around to the quiet side of Mount Desert Island through Northeast Harbor, around Somes Sound, through Southwest Harbor, and then we finally arrived in Bass Harbor where we were able to view the Bass Harbor Head Light.

This lighthouse is one of the most photographed lighthouse in Maine. If you have ever gotten a calendar of New England or of lighthouses, chances are this lighthouse would be in it.

It was interesting to read that a Coast Guard family actually lives in the house part of the lighthouse here.

We even managed to find a couple of letterboxes here. While stamping our books, we could hear a bell rhythmically ringing to the pace of the ocean's waves. It was actually quite relaxing.
After our visit to the lighthouse, our friends treated us to a delicious dinner at a restaurant on the harbor in Bass Harbor. I think the adults all ordered fish of some sort. (I'm pretty sure Jess tried some of the lobster roll as well. Or, was it a crab roll? Sorry, Jess, if you're reading this...I knew I had to write about it so this would jog Zipf's memory in the future!) The meal was so yummy! Such a treat! Thank you, Joel & Jess, it was so kind and generous of you to do that! After supper, we hung out around the dock.


I guess this is what you call a dinghy...right, Joel?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is one really nice dingy