Using store-bought paper napkins seems like such a waste to me. So many times after a meal, I throw away four napkins and two of them may have each been touched twice during the whole meal. Well, being the cheap, practical person that I am, I have been contemplating the idea of switching from using store-bought paper napkins to cloth napkins for the purpose of cutting down on wastefulness - wasteful spending and wasteful use. The thing that I wasn't quite sold on was how much laundry the use of cloth napkins would create. Well, this past Christmas, the idea of using cloth napkins came to fruition as I received A LOT of cloth napkins for gifts. So, we started using cloth napkins.
This is what Nathan has "affectionately" started calling...
It is a cloth napkin that sits in the middle of our table, and every member of the family uses that one napkin for the day! When someone needs to use the napkin, they just reach out, grab it, and use it! So simple, and it has cut down on waste tremendously and doesn't really increase the laundry load too much! (If you haven't sensed from my sarcasm above, Nathan is NOT a big fan of this idea yet!) The real test to our use of cloth napkins though will come when we have in-house visitors come to stay for any length of time...we'll see how it goes then!
BUT, don't worry! If you come to our house for dinner or to stay for a little while, we'll make sure you get your own napkin to use! :-)
0 comments:
Post a Comment